Tips for a Family Trip to the Mountains
Follow these suggestions and spend your next family vacation focused on fun.
Endless opportunities for fun, discovery and fascination await in the North Georgia mountains. Embark on a family adventure to remember while making the most of your time and money. Here are a few insider tips to help you and yours enjoy all this amazing region has to offer.
How to plan the perfect North Georgia Mountain Family Getaway
Research local deals on cabin rentals, activity packages and guest room discounts.
- Check out the Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge website for current packages and discounts.
- Find deals across all types of accommodations and activities:Zip Line and Adventure Packages
- Strategically selecting the date of your excursion to the north Georgia mountains can help you get the most for your money.
Take full advantage of time spent in this fabulous location.
- Select authentically North Georgia activities. Ask yourself, “Could I do this anywhere else?”
- Stay in a mountain resort and maximize your access to authentically regional amenities, activities, views and adventures
- Camp under the stars or in the coziest of cabins for a real return to nature.
- Enjoy local cuisine—Southern Cookin’—while taking in a one-of-a-kind view in the Maple Restaurant at the Amicalola Falls Lodge. Not only is the Maple Restaurant celebrated by Amicalola Falls State Park visitors, it’s also a local favorite.
Things to do in the North Georgia Mountains
Enjoy family friendly activities and adventures. Consider stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new.
- Take in the amazing Amicalola Falls, the tallest cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River.
- Hike the trails near the waterfall and see if you can spot the old moonshine truck still hidden in the trees.
- Stop in the Visitor’s Center and view the iconic stone entrance to the Approach Trail to the Appalachian Trail – a perfect photo op.
- Dahlonega is the site of the first major U.S. Gold Rush – tickets for the Gold Rush Museum can be acquired at the Amicalola Falls Lodge.
Breath in the mountain air and dig into the outdoor experience around the firepit.
- Reconnect with loved ones and continue one of the longest standing human traditions with some fireside storytelling.
- Disconnect from devices and enjoy the simple joy of building and sharing smores under the stars.
- Gathering around a fire is beloved because it’s fun for the whole family.
Think regionally. Dahlonega is a hub for authentic North Georgia experience and adventure.
- Check local events calendar and music venue schedules. Dahlonega is home to year-round fun, festivals and great live music.
- Discover gold and the area’s rich history. Dahlonega is located on a large gold deposit. Enjoy mines, museums and attractions dedicated to Georgia gold.
- Historic Downtown Dahlonega is full of history, charm, fine dining, local wines and unique retail stores.
Look at a Georgia State Parks map, and it’s clear that the North Georgia Mountains cannot be conquered during one getaway. But scoping out the scene and creating an agenda helps keep the focus on time spent together—winter, spring, fall or summer. Let each member contribute to planning the expedition , and you are sure to experience a spectacular family adventure.